What if sound had come to movies 10 years later?
* Would gangster films have become as popular as they did in the early 1930s?
* Would we still have had the Production Code?
* Would Keaton have stayed at MGM?
* When would Preston Sturges, Busby Berkeley, Fred Astaire, and the Marx Brothers have come to Hollywood? Would they have stayed in New York throughout the 1930s?
* Would City Lights and Modern Times have been exactly the same visually?
* Would Citizen Kane have included more sound experimentation?
* Would we have had a bunch of film noir musicals in the 1940s?
* What would have been the 1937 equivalent of The Jazz Singer?
* Would the Warner Bros. and Disney studios have survived the Great Depression? How about Columbia?
* Would Disney have made Fantasia before making Snow White and Pinocchio?
If sound hadn’t come in until 15 years later, would David O. Selznick have made a silent Gone With the Wind? Who would have been the director? And who would have been the actors?
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.